The aim of the International SST FRM Radiometer Network (ISFRN) is to develop a community of in situ radiometer builders, operators and data users who will:
- Promote good practice in the construction and operation of in situ radiometers
- Agree and establish protocols, formats and standards for quality assurance of data
- Provide a single access point for the collection and dissemination of radiometer data
- Support satellite radiometer operators in the long-term validation of satellite products
- Share knowledge and coordinate activities between Network members
- Inform the wider community about the Network's activities
Why are shipborne infrared radiometers important?
- They are used to validate satellite measurements of skin SST, which is what satellite infrared SST measurements measure
- They provide traceability of measurements to NMI standards (FRM4STS)
- In the absence of a dual-view satellite sensor, they provide the reference skin SST (fiducial reference measurement)
- They are needed for the Gap-Bridging between AATSR and SLSTR
- As more shipborne radiometers join the ISFRN, the current limited global coverage will be improved
The objectives for the ships4sst: FRM4SST project are:
- OBJ-1: Validate satellite SST products to FRM standards.
- OBJ-2: Maintain and evolve the International SST FRM Radiometer Network (ISFRN) and deploy on a continuous basis Thermal Infrared Radiometers (TIR) FRM and necessary supporting instrumentation to validate SST products.
- OBJ-3: Process, archive and quality control ships4sst data following documented FRM procedures that approve their use for FRM satellite validation.
- OBJ-4: Conduct and report a CEOS FRM radiometer inter-calibration exercise.
- OBJ-5: Implement a comparison of thermal infrared and microwave radiometer measurments at sea.
- OBJ-6: Conduct communications and outreach material promoting the ships4sst: FRM4SST activity.
For instrument operation timeliness and compatibility with the service objectives, the attached spreadsheet is updated with the latest relevant information.